In this page I’m going to show the design and creation of the tree structure and lightning for the Privacy Seed project.
- Next steps
During the CNC milling week I started sketching a simplified version of how the tree structure could be built:
Here are some details of the traces carved on the tree trunk:
I also built a 3D model that could be built for testing on smaller scale
I decided to created a small scale cardboard prototype (< 1m height) and then to think about a large scale wood one (< 2m height).
First cardboard prototype (small scale)
I then decided to refine my structure to create a model to laser cut a first prototype:
I struggled a bit finding correct values for cardboard … :) :( … then I ended up with some failed cuts and these values for next time:
By looking at this first prototype I came up with few improvements to do:
- In the top pressfit part: reduce the circle radius, create easier to fit shapes, make the trunk shape join precisely the circle.
- In the base element: create a 2 layers base and hide the trunk bottom part under it
- Increase the differences between the branches shapes
- Two possible solutions to test how to connect the heart shape: hold in one of the trunk element or hanging from top
Second plywood prototype (small scale)
Before the final presentation I built a new version of the tree structure with 3mm plywood material. This structure is ment to be a 1:5 scale of the final version.
I incorporated in the design the improvements from the first prototype and laser cut the plywood with the same settings used in week3).
In the interest of time I cut 7 identical trunk shapes while in the previous one I had 3+4 different arrangement on the banches on each.
Also to speed up the process I thought to not include the kerf tolerance for the pressfit to have a structure that is easy to mount: Later I regretted this choice because my structure was easily falling apart :)
Here is the result:
The detail of the top circle that will support the led strip and will be covered to hide some cables.
The detail of the bottom plate with a slot to hold the led strip.
The final structure all together with the heart hanging in the middle.
Download models for the tree structure (.zip archive: SolidWorks, STL and Rhino files)
Wood structure (large)
Changes to incorporate:
- LED strip lights on the trunk
- Design a more solid base
- Reinforce structure against vertical axis rotation
- Think a system for easy assembly
…WORK IN PROGRESS…
- Design and mill a big wood structure with improvements