I have this week worked with computer-controlled machining and completed the following:
A wrong z-zeroing position in the material setup in VCarve caused contact between the collet/spindle head and the material, which caused friction and a spark that ran through the exhaust tube - which of cause made med press the safety bottom that stopped the job. I corrected the setup error and reran the job 15 minutes later, during which the dust collector caught fire (more about this at the bottom of the page).
I used my parametric design created in Fusion 360 - which I adjusted to the thickness of the material and exported as a .dxf-file. I then completed the following steps in VCarve:
I modified the tool path by adding fillets - as Dog-Bones with a radius of (1/4"/2 = 25,4 / 4 / 2 =) 3,1mm and Tabs - and the used the following setup for the tool paths:
|Tool:||1/2" Straight, End Mill||1/8" Tapered Ball Nose|
|Calculated Chip Load:||XX||XX|
*Neil pointed out one should think about both about tool, collet and spindlehead when setting the maximum cut depth.
When saving the toolpath VCarve informed me about the presence of '14 Unsuitable Open Vectors and 5 Duplicate Vectors'. I decided to groom the imported files by joining unintentional open vectors and deleting duplicate vectors. Afterwards the tool path saved without any warnings.
With the software side of the preparation complete it is now time to setup the machine to execute the job:
I decided to make my first machined piece a scaled version (1:2,5) of my idea for the final design - which I had previously fabricated on the lasercutter in smaller scales (1:10 and 1:5). My first cut worked like a charm. I thus decided to prepare a toolpath for full size prototype of my idea for the final design.